Location: Europe – UK, Netherlands, Poland, Romania
Open To: UK or EU National or UK or EU Work Permit Holder
Job Overview: A leading global Services Company in the Oil and Gas industry seeks a Senior Software Development Lead, to manage the development of all customised drilling solutions. In this lead role, you will define how technical work should be done, select appropriate tools, define technologies to be used, quality assure all aspects of development, and define/implement best practices and standards for development of drilling solutions. Working with experienced teams of Developers, Subject Matter Experts, Architects etc. you will ensure that development is delivered in a timely and professional manner to clients across Europe, Eurasia & Sub-Sahara Africa. Applicants invited with a strong understanding of drilling software used in Oil and Gas, a background in software development and the ability to manage multiple projects across teams in various locations. Preference is for individual to be based in UK or Netherlands but other European locations considered.
Supported by global offices, the Company is a leading provider of integrated software solutions, covering the entire upstream oil cycle – from finding hydrocarbons to evaluating the prospects, building the wells, and managing and optimising the production process.
The deployment of technologies across all sectors of the upstream industry has been highly evident in recent years - from greater optimisation in the field, real-time centres, predictive maintenance, cloud solutions, big data analytics, transaction-based software and much more.
The Company has been at the forefront of leading technology advancements for nearly three decades, enabling their clients turn critical information into useful knowledge. With the deployment of their main point technologies to Cloud based solutions, they are one of the few Companies to provide clients with an online environment for optimizing their exploration and appraisal lifecycle across global teams.
Responsibilities: Working in the Implementation Team and reporting to the Manager for Digital Solutions for the region, your primary responsibilities will be to:
• Become aware of the Company’s technologies and associated services, practices etc. Training provided.
• Build good working relationships with your regional peers.
• Lead and shape the technical vision for the development of customised drilling solutions.
• Work closely with the Subject Expert Managers to understand and define the Client requirements.
• Work closely with the System Architects to understand integration considerations, best technologies to use etc.
• Work closely with the Software Teams in various locations to best translate requirements into manageable development tasks.
• Become a key stakeholder across all teams, ensuring effective communications.
• Propose and implement best practices for development.
• Ensure adherence to technical standards and best practices set.
• Review code and potentially get involved in coding as/when required.
• Lead a range of projects that may include web, desktop or cloud native solutions.
• Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities.
• Participate in Lessons Learned
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
• Computer Science degree preferred but not required
• Technical Skills
o Good understanding of RBDMS essential (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL etc
o Proficient with object oriented programming language essential (e.g. Java, Python, C++, Visual Basic .NET.)
o Knowledge of Linux and windows with good understanding of DNS, Active Directory essential.
o Knowledge of application development in any server-side language desired (e.g. NodeJs, PHP)
o Understanding of Jboss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP) and WildFly desired.
o Broad understanding of data virtualization desired (e.g. Teiid, OData, ODBC/JDBC)
o Knowledge of open-source enterprise-search platform desired (e.g. Apache Solr , Elasticsearch).
o Understanding of JBPM and Domain specific BPM tasks desired.
o Understanding of identity and access management solution, authentication, federation, secure password vaults desired. (e.g. Keycloak ,OAuth)
o Understanding of document management and collaboration tool (Sharepoint)d desired.
o Understanding of fundamental concepts of Data science, Machine learning & AI highly desired.
o Knowledge of open source distributed processing framework desired – e.g. Hadoop, Cassandra, MongoDB etc.
o Working experience with Business intelligence and Analytical tools desired (Microsoft Power BI , Spotfire).
o Understanding of geographic information system tools desired. (ArcGIS for Desktop, Google Earth Pro.
o Understanding of cloud environment and deployment desired - Azure/AWS.
• Proficiency in drilling software essential – either as a hands-on user or developer or Manager of software development.
• Understanding or usage of Halliburton’s (Compass, WellPlan, StressCheck, CasingSeat, CasingWear, WellCost,WellCat…) or/and Schlumberger (DrillPlan · DrillOps · Drilling Insights · Wellbarrier · Drillbench · Petrel Drilling.) drilling software highly desired.
• Previous experience managing development projects or teams highly desired.
• Comfortable and effective in cross-functional and cross-organizational communication and collaboration.
• Highly organised and analytical essential – paying attention to detail, taking initiatives, being proactive to improve practices.
• Ability to establish credibility quickly across various teams quickly essential.
• Effective people management, technical, and leadership skills, including mentoring more junior team members.
• Highly customer focused – – can listen and understand business needs and ensure agreed requirements are delivered.
• Strong stakeholder management skills – diplomatic and can liaise effectively across various teams and prioritize demands.
• Strong team player, able to work with distributed global teams
• Can prioritise – can manage multiple concurrent projects effectively and handle all priorities.
• An assertive individual with the personality and confidence to build strong relationships.
• Can travel as required.
Package: A Base Salary of circa €50K - €80K (i.e. £71K) is on offer dependent on skills, experience and location. There may be some flexibility on Base salary for a high calibre candidate. Plus Bonus Scheme and full Company Benefits
Other: The Company has an equal opportunity policy and a strong supporter of gender diversity. They welcome both male and female applicants for this role.
PS.Please submit a Cover Letter in support of your application, - it should outline a) why you feel you may be particularly suited to this position (i.e. relevant skills/experience and education) b) your availability and c) your salary expectations.