We are a global technology company, driving energy innovation for a balanced planet.
At SLB we create amazing technology that unlocks access to energy for the benefit of all. That is our purpose. As innovators, that’s been our mission for 100 years. We are facing the world’s greatest balancing act- how to simultaneously reduce emissions and meet the world’s growing energy demands. We’re working on that answer. Every day, a step closer.
Our collective future depends on decarbonizing the fossil fuel industry, while innovating a new energy landscape. It’s what drives us. Ensuring progress for people and the planet, on the journey to net zero and beyond. For a balanced planet.
Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, UK.
Stonehouse Technology Centre (SHTC) is the SLB drilling Centre of Excellence. It supports SLB through innovative engineering and quality-driven manufacturing, with portfolio emphasis on rotary steerable systems, Measurement While Drilling tools, Specialised Measurement tools and Rechargeable Batteries for Downhole use, and power source products.
Over 300 employees work in SHTC's modern, fit-for-purpose building in scenic Gloucestershire. The facility was constructed to handle future demand for PowerDrive tools with an efficient workflow that ensures assembled tools are extensively and rigorously tested before delivery. On site, tools can be monitored using state of-the-art hardware and connectivity that link SHTC to all field locations.
SHTC continues Research & Development investment for new technologies, extending operational limits so that clients can reach hotter, deeper reserves.
Under the direction of the project manager or the mechanical team leader, the Mechanical Engineer provides innovative, cost effective and reliable solutions to the design, development or sustaining of new or improved products meeting the business needs. He or she develops and maintains design layouts, models, drawings and other documentation needed to define, produce and sustain the products, taking into consideration fabrication methods, and in compliance with applicable internal and external standards. He or she assists the project manager in planning, conducting and evaluating approaches to meet the project objectives in a timely fashion.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Designs, develops and maintains the mechanical portion of products, meeting product and project requirements, in close collaboration with the other disciplines and functions.
- Assists in identifying product requirements and risks and in defining risk control plans.
- Develops and maintains mechanical layouts which may include 3D models and drawings using the CAD system, develops and maintains the bill of materials.
- Participates in the verification of the design with analytical or finite element models or physical tests, and in the documentation of the verification test results.
- Designs and builds prototypes and associated fabrication and test tooling.
- Creates and maintains product file documentation, including fabrication and test procedures.
- Participates in the definition of test procedures, in the performance of the tests and documentation of test results.
- Publishes accurate status reports, provides timely corrective actions on encountered defects or issues. Continually evaluates engineering approaches, risks, and iterates the development plans.
- Participates in technical reviews of requirements, risks, designs, product files and other artifacts.
- Prepares technical user documentation. Provides training and support to Field users and clients.
- Present the new or improved product to technical and management audiences.
- May assign, direct and review the work of technicians, mentor junior engineers.
- Shares his or her expertise internally and expands his informal network throughout the organization: field, research, engineering, manufacturing, other domains and clients.
- Contributes to the capture of the company’s experience in design books and other standards, procedures, training packages.
- Authors or co-authors technical reports, invention disclosures, papers and presentations.
- Keeps abreast of novel technologies, including manufacturing processes and techniques. Continually improves his or her skills to develop innovative and cost-effective products.
- Maintains familiarity with the company’s technology, organization and business.
- Complies with applicable company policies, standards and procedures, including those related to Personnel, Quality, and Health, Safety and Environment.
• Mechanical system design
• CAD, drafting standards, tolerancing
• Electromechanical design
• Material sciences, material selection
• Structural analytical and finite element analysis
• Hydraulics computations
• Manufacturing technologies
• Design for X methodologies (manufacturability, maintainability, reliability, compliance, etc.)
Qualification & Experience:
- BS or MS: Mechanical, Aerospace, Subsea Engineering
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 / 4.0
- 3-5 years industry experience
SLB Eureka Technical Career (SETC) provides proven technical contributors with a career path that offers them recognition, reward, and influence that parallels an equivalent management progression. We are leaders in Technology Domain Knowledge – Our Eureka Community of practice has over 28,500 members, in 30 communities, with 123 Special Interest Groups (SIGs). We’ve published over 10,000 publications in the past decade. The early stage of SETC known as “SETC Associate”, is a new addition to the SETC Framework in the Technology Organization.
BlueFlex (if eligible):
We are open to flexible, hybrid working with a combination of on-site & home working days.
What we can offer you:
Competitive base salary with bonus, private healthcare for employee & family, subsidised dental care, Health & Wellbeing programs such as the Employee Mental health support, health & wellness coaching, part employer and employee funded pension contribution, Income protection scheme, life insurance.
Other benefits are also available through the SLB flexible benefits program.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.