Open to EU / UK Nationals or UK work permit holders
A leading provider of laboratory reservoir characterisation and sample storage services, primarily to the Oil and Gas industry, is looking for a Manager to head the Sample Storage and Data Management department. Taking over from the existing manager who is due to retire in April, you will manage the operation of the facility’s warehouses of stored rock core samples and related material, the bespoke catalogue database, client interactions, and assist in driving new business opportunities for the facility. Applicants are invited who have experience in similar positions, possess excellent customer relation skills, a focus on safety and quality, and are fit as the role can be physically demanding at times. The Company has an equal opportunity policy and a strong supporter of gender diversity. They welcome both male and female applicants for this role.
Part of a global services group, the company is preparing for future growth following continued development and expansion in recent years. A recognised expert in its field, the company’s service portfolio also spans Wellsite, Laboratory and Geology departments. Being closely tied to Storage, interacting with these departments to administer internal requests, drive efficiencies, develop new services and improve the customer experience is key. The company is also driving initiatives in New Energy markets as subsurface exploration gains increasing traction through carbon capture storage, geothermal and other renewables. These present new growth opportunities and potential to develop the physical warehouse storage and related customer services.
The facility spans 3 warehouses, large scale client sample viewing rooms and conference facilities. The daily operation requires a small team, with two reports currently. Larger projects necessitate the hiring of temporary teams. The candidate will have overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the storage facility. Core samples, materials (oil, water, fluids… ) and physical data are received from around the globe on a daily basis, catalogued, stored and made accessible as required. A Logistics Manger supports with shipment organisation.
The role offers a great deal of opportunities for a bright, entrepreneurial individual with a hands-on mentality to be actively involved in influencing new service offerings.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the General Manager, the successful applicant’s duties will consist of the following:
- Manage a busy storage facility – receiving materials globally for the purpose of geological core processing and analytical service requested by the exploration sector of the oil and gas industry.
- Coordinate the receipt, storage, cataloguing and delivery of samples.
- Responsible for the management of all records - using the Company’s leading inhouse database system – catalogue materials received.
- Become the location’s/ team’s subject matter expert for storage-data management, drive improvements and advancements of the same (Note: training will be provided).
- Manage (currently) two reports – who help execute the logistics of the warehouse - packaging, positioning and retrieval (using forklifts), client workshops in store, and delivery of materials to clients and 3rd parties.
- Manage effective scheduling of personnel and equipment - ensure that deliverables have the resources required.
- Provide strong project management – ensuring that upcoming projects are forecasted, scheduled, resources available and risk assessed.
- Lead by example, Ensure that all Health and Safety regulations are understood and adhered to both onsite and in any offsite operations delivery. Enforce regular checks and training and sign off on compliance requirements.
- Liaise closely with clients to ensure that services are delivered to agreed criteria – core is stored, delivered to client or 3rd party, made ready for inhouse reviews or workshops etc.
- Liaise closely with operations/ laboratory personnel – making sure that all core and materials are available to undertake scheduled services. Provide regular updates on service deliverables.
- Work closely with Sales/Business Development, attending client meetings, devising plans – work to develop new services and increase the revenue potential of the storage and data capabilities.
- Responsible for the administrative management of all Storage contracts with clients – when they are due for renewal, terms that need to be changed, revised pricing (work with Sales), negotiations – be proactive in ensuring contracts are renewed and on time.
- Work closely with the Accounts Team – ensure that all related services are invoiced correctly each month.
- Be responsible for your consumables, budget and revenue considerations.
- Develop strong and trusted relationships with your client’s technical and commercial representatives. Understand their needs now and in the future – this will help form business expansion plans.
- Source feedback from each service delivered – continue to improve all aspects of the service and to achieve excellent customer satisfaction reports.
- With an entrepreneurial attitude, you will help drive awareness and reputation across these sectors, identifying players, building contacts and helping to drive revenue growth for all warehouse services.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
- Must be within commuting range of the laboratory – near Guildford – Surrey, UK.
- Strong IT Literacy essential – competent using a database, emailing, MS Office in general. Strong database/coding skills advantageous as additional data services to be investigated.
- A geology degree or oil and gas industry experience desired.
- Experience working in a Drill Cuttings/ Core Storage or similar sample storage facility highly advantageous
- Experience in managing the logistics of receipt/cataloguing/delivery of goods desired.
- Previous experience/knowledge of laboratory equipment/services advantageous – but training provided.
- Strong focus on customer services essential – the determination to generate high quality, repeatable results on time and to a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Excellent client engagement skills – ability to communicate effectively, confidence to engage and build long term relationships of trust is key!
- High attention to detail and the ability to work quickly, safely and accurate.
- Team player essential.
- Previous experience of managing reports desired but training provided. Basic maths competency in both metric and imperial units.
- Strong understanding/appreciation of service quality and HSE considerations essential.
- Must be flexible, a trouble shooter and problem solver.
- Physically strong as you will have to lift core samples. Forklift trucks available for lifting pallets.
Package: A Base Salary plus Benefits is on offer dependent on skills and experience, Training will be provided
To apply for this job:
- Please make sure you upload your CV and submit a Cover Letter. Your Cover Letter in support of your application, should outline a) why you feel you may be particularly suited to this position (i.e. relevant skills/experience and education) b) your availability and c) your salary expectations.