Lead Engineer, Powertrain Dynamics (f/m/d) - Dortmund, Germany
DE, Dortmund | Professional | Full-Time | ID: 8148
As a Lead Engineer (f/m/d), why not use your abilities to create a more sustainable world within a department with a major impact on exceptional client service delivery by looking at this fantastic role we now have available.
Vestas Power Solutions (VPS) is responsible for developing, verifying and industrializing wind turbines and related service products. It is here that we lay Vestas' technical- and technological foundation for staying the global leader in wind energy by continuously reducing the Cost of Energy. The Powertrain department in VPS currently consists of around 52 highly skilled employees, primarily situated in Denmark and in Germany and with local/remote teams in China and US. The department is accountable for the Powertrain System converting the mechanical energy from the wind turbine rotor into electrical energy. The Powertrain System consists of main components such as the main gearbox, generator, main shaft bearings, lubrication system and the auxiliary components such as brakes, couplings and suspension/damper systems.
We have an immediate opening for a Mechanical or Simulation Engineer for the Drivetrain/DE Department in Dortmund, Germany specializing in the analysis of Powertrain System dynamics and loads with focus on numerical methods like Multi-body simulations, Finite Elements and alike. Activities will involve all facets of product development, but with priorities centered on project and work package execution in close collaboration with the R&D departments in Denmark and Germany and the Design Hub in Porto/Portugal. Many of the activities also require involvement of external partners such as consultancy networks and/or suppliers, and this aspect requires a true team player with a combination of strong technical competences, excellent communication skills and a commercial mindset, and not least with a distinct ability to - and motivation for - driving technical and challenging projects forward.
You will become part of a cross-functional engineering team responsible for delivery of work packages and technical solutions to the entire Powertrain system area. We value initiative, trustworthiness and the right balance between creativity and quality in all our solutions. You will benefit from an environment working at a high professional level and with a strong technical commitment.
You will work in our development projects and make sure that the Powertrain system and its components meet our expectations with regards to NVH requirements and dynamic loading. You will be responsible for planning, executing, evaluating and finally reporting your analysis results as input to the design and verification activities of our wind turbine product platforms within On- and Offshore projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Define and specify the analysis according to the needs of the project.
- Build the models and execute the analysis according to the specification.
- Post-process and evaluate the analysis data with regards to the intended information.
- Summarize the findings in a report and communicate them to the relevant stakeholders.
- Continuously validate and update the models based on test rig and field measurements.
- Participate in de-risking activities (e.g. D-FMEA's) and support in defining set-ups and procedures for physical testing on test benches and turbines
- Contribute to root cause analysis and develop and improve methods, tools and processes.
- Diploma-/or Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics or Computational Engineering. Background in Drive Technology (gears, bearings etc.) preferred.
- Experience of 3 to 5 years in Dynamic Simulations or Testing from Wind Turbine, Aerospace, Automotive or Heavy Industries.
- Profound knowledge in Machine Dynamics and Mechanical Systems.
- Good understanding of Structure and Air-borne Noise and Vibrations.
- Experience in Multi-body Dynamic Systems and Finite Element Methods (Simpack, Ansys, Matlab).
- Experience in Vibration Analysis in time and frequency domain.
- Good understanding of product development processes.
- Good English skills (spoken and written) required.
On a personal level, you will display:
- Your analytical skills in combination with your technical and value chain understanding enable you to focus your activities for finding the optimum technical solution within the given boundaries.
- a pro-active and self-driven personality, you achieve your results by setting the direction, defining and prioritizing work and making sure that necessary conclusion can be taken.
- Your structured and organized way of working you plan and prioritize the tasks while at the same time keeping focus on the overall targets.
- Organizational and communicative skills allow you to achieve your results through international and multi-disciplinary teams which involve colleagues from various parts of Vestas as well as supply partners globally.
There will be travel of up to 25 days expected in this role. For further information, please contact Martin Pilas on +49 1511 633 1236.
What we offer:
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Amongst the many amenities we offer: Medical aid, pension scheme, and much more.
Closing date: 31st July 2020
Vestas is the energy industry’s global partner on sustainable energy solutions. We design, manufacture, install, and service wind turbines across the globe, and with more than 113 GW of wind turbines in 81 countries, we have installed more wind power than anyone else.
Through our industry-leading smart data capabilities and unparalleled more than 96 GW of wind turbines under service, we use data to interpret, forecast, and exploit wind resources and deliver best-in-class wind power solutions.
Together with our customers, Vestas’ more than 25.000 employees are bringing the world sustainable energy solutions to power a bright future.
Vestas promotes a diverse workforce which embraces all social identities and is free of any discrimination. We commit to create and sustain an environment that acknowledges and harvests different experiences, skills and perspectives, and gives everyone equal access to opportunity.
We invite you to learn more about Vestas by visiting our website at www.vestas.com and following us on our social media channels.