Please only apply if you have the relevant skills
Open To: EU Nationals or UK work permit holders
Job Overview: An expanding Energy Company, with a focus on gas extraction and low carbon solutions, seeks a Data Engineer. You will be responsible for maintaining and developing the Energy’s production database which collates data from across the business and makes it available and accessible to all departments (Operations, Subsurface, Commercial and Finance). Applicants invited with strong appreciation of quality data management and some experience of coding in Python. Experience of using Cloud based data solutions desired but training provided. This could be an ideal role for an experienced Data Engineer or a Graduate with python and the ambition to take on the challenge. The Company is open to applications from all levels of expertise across industries.
The Company, which is part of a larger Group of Companies, focuses on Oil and Gas production and in developing low carbon technologies for the coming energy transition. They are actively involved in the North Sea with production from operated fields. They are in constant acquisition mode and in recent years have increased their market position significantly. They hold operated platforms in the Danish sector and have equity shares in major fields off Norway and West of Shetland. This presents major opportunities for the Company to realise operational and commercial synergies and further enhance their offshore skills base.
The Company is committed to further growth, both organically and through acquisitions. With a fairly flat organisational structure and a friendly open culture, they actively promote knowledge transfer and individuals’ involvement in the decision-making process. The CEO is also a great advocate of health and fitness and has a fully operational gym on site with free instructor lead classes. In addition, the Company is keen to promote from within, all leading to great opportunity for career development.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Head of Operations Support the role encompasses many functions including:
• Take responsibility for maintaining the Company Energy’s production database which collates data from across the business and makes it available and accessible to all departments (Operations, Subsurface, Commercial and Finance).
• Take ownership of the UK’s production database – maintain and develop it (SQL database hosted on MS Azure).
• Maintain data feeds into the database (data is primarily imported using Python scrips from csv, xlsx, pdf, and emails).
• Ensure the database is up to date with live platform data and the daily partner data.
• Deliver single source, reliable and auditable production data for the business.
• Maintain the quality and accuracy of this data.
• As more data is added to the production database, you will identify and facilitate the use of machine learning tools to draw additional insights from the production database and databases held by other departments.
• Expand access and visibility of production data (e.g., Develop KPI and MS Power BI dashboards).
• Provide technical guidance and support to team members
• Work closely on a day-to-day basis with the Senior Production Analyst.
This is an exciting and varied role bringing together production data from multiple sources and geographies, making a single source of reliable data available to the business and facilities insight to be drawn from in using tools such as MS Power Apps and MS Power BI. It offers a great opportunity to develop your career and take on more responsibility working for an expanding Energy Company.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
• Degree in maths, science related or engineering discipline essential.
• Experience coding in Python, or another Object-Orientated Programming language essential.
• Proven experience in managing data essential.
• Strong appreciation of all aspects of good data management essential – storage, retrieval, accessibility, operability, quality assurance etc.
• Some experience working in / or exposure to the Oil and Gas Industry desired but not essential but applicants welcomed across industries.
• Exposure to oil and gas production data of interest.
• Experience using MS Azure Platform highly desired but not difficult to pick up.
• Certification in a Microsoft Azure solution desired.
• Experience using MS Power BI and MS Power Apps highly desired.
• Exposure to SQL or other Data-Oriented Programming language would be advantageous
• SQL coding experience would be advantageous
• Exposure to Apache Airflow and Linux CLI advantageous
• Confident user of MS Excel essential – experience of Excel VBA programming language highly desired.
• Confident user of the MS Office suite
• High focus on delivering reliable data from a single source for decision making by the business units.
• Strong attention to detail – must be able to achieve high levels of accuracy with all work produced.
• Ability to problem solve and take on new challenges.
• Self-motivated – can get on with the job independently
• Ambitious – this is an evolving role as the Company expands its production asset. You will be expected to keep up to date with evolving MS Azure tools, new demands on analysis and reporting to various stakeholders.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment
• Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Strong organisational and time management skills – ability to keep on track and ensure data is readily available, and on time as required.
• Highly diplomatic – you will request and collate data comes from various stakeholders both in the UK and Denmark which then needs to be accessible by various business units.
Package: A Salary Package of £39K - £49K (Base + London Allowance of £4K) is on offer dependent on skills and experience. There may be some flexibility on base salary for a high calibre candidate. Oil operator benefits include – 25 days holiday, bonus scheme, pension, life assurance and unlimited access to the office gym and free instructor led classes.
PS. Please submit a Cover Letter in support of your application, should outline a) why you feel you may be particularly suited to this position (i.e. relevant skills/experience and education) b) your availability and c) your salary expectations.