TAX FREE - EX PAT ROLE
Interesting in living in Saudi, in the picturesque coastal city of Al Khobar, as an Expat, Tax Free!
A global Company focused on providing technology and engineering solutions across many industries seeks a C++ Software Developer to work at an oil client site, supporting further development of their software suite. Applicants are invited with at least 5 years C++ development experience on Linux with some experience of high-performance computing (HPC) programming highly desired. A geoscience background, especially geophysics desired but full training provided. This is a permanent expat role offering flights, accommodation, transport, visa etc. The Company will organise all aspects of your relocation, Visa, accommodation etc. and your Salary is Tax Free!
The Company’s Oil and Gas Business Unit, established for many decades, provides exploration and production solutions to assist their clients meet business and performance goals by increasing efficiencies, reducing costs and improving return on investment. Their well-established geoscience and engineering software portfolio helps clients find oil to extending the lifespan of a field. It can transform client organizations and workflows, and connect subsurface technology to operational activities.
The Company has in excess of 90 offices globally, with a large office of 200+ people in Al-Khobar. Their Oil and Gas Research and Development Units are in Paris, London and Houston. The Oil Operator is at the leading edge of driving digital transformation across all of their business units. Working at this operator site, you will become the key focal point between the Operator’s geoscience user community and the Company’s R&D teams for the delivery of additional functionality and repair of existing code. It is estimated that you will spend 50% of your time on bug fixes and enhancements and 50% engaging with the client identifying new technology deliverables that will further enhance workflow optimisation.
Responsibilities: Reporting directly to Exploration & Production R&D Software Director with a dotted line to the client Account Manager, you will have many tasks including:
● Become competent in the Company’s work flows, practices and reporting mechanisms.
● Establish yourself as the go-to-person within the Operator’s geoscience community for enhancement to existing Company products and new geoscience technologies.
● Build relationships of trust and technical credibility, supporting their digital transformation journey across their geoscience and engineering user communities.
● Help identify new opportunities for new products or technology enhancements.
● Work closely with the client’s assigned Account Manager – keeping him updated on project developments.
● Act as the conduit between the user community and the Company’s relevant R&D business units in relation to their various product lines.
● Performs complex analysis, design, and development tasks independently, evaluating complex information flow, interfaces, and key data structures to advance integration and implement complex application requirements. Access to all code via the Company’s online portal.
● Perform tasks in conjunction with the developers in R&D – manage all aspects of the project delivery with the Operator’s users.
● Investigate and report on application of new information technology concepts and techniques to team and leadership.
● Develops sophisticated software to leverage new hardware advances.
● Efficiently and independently completes projects lasting from 3 to 12 months providing deliverables on time and to scope – e.g. data optimisation, workflow improvement,
● Evaluates, tests, and debugs complex application routines to comply with the desired system objectives.
● Partner with the QA team to develop test workflows and resolve issues and improve quality. Evaluates and reports on operational efficiency of applications and systems.
● Demonstrates understanding of importance of documentation by actively partnering with documentation team.
● Supports junior staff in developing good technical discipline.
● Visit the Company’s offices in Al-Khobar as required for meetings. It is estimated that you may travel to other offices and industry events 10% of your time.
● Be proactive in managing stakeholders - ensuring that clear communications are adhered, to all involved in a professional and timely manner.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
● B.Sc. or higher in Computer Science, related field or applicable science discipline
● A minimum of 5 years of C++ software development experience essential.
● Knowledge and experience in programming for Linux essential Windows desired - kernel programming advantageous also.
● Some experience of HPC programming highly desired.
● Some experience of Multi-threading essential (Pthreads, Windows threads, OpenMP)
● Knowledge of cross-platform network programming (Sockets, CORBA) desired.
● Ability and confidence to lead investigation of complex software and system problems essential.
● Previous software development experience in Exploration & Development environment highly desired especially in geophysics – but not essential – the key is strong C++ developing for Linux environments.
● High level of English, both verbal and written
● Excellent communications skills (both written and oral) with the ability to listen and articulate clearly, conveying effective and accurate development plan
● The ability to take ownership of activities, leads projects, and to ensure successful completion.
● Entrepreneurial – can identify potential new projects with the Operator and develop the idea with the relevant players.
● Strong customer focus with appreciation for good stakeholder management.
● Team player – working closely with Account Manager, R&D Teams, and user communities.
● Highly analytical/methodical – the ability to grasp/understand problems and propose and deliver solutions.
● Has the ability to listen and discuss technical matters in a clear and articulate manner and the confidence to propose/push boundaries.
● Happy and willing to travel internationally if required.
Package: This is an expat Tax Free Role. A package in the region of $140K USD (i.e., Salary, Accommodation and Transport). The tax free salary element is in the region of $100K (£72K GBP). In addition, flight allowance, medical (for family), relocation support, schooling (if needed), life insurance….
PS. Please submit a Cover Letter in support of your application, should outline a) why you feel you may be particularly suited to this position (i.e. relevant skills/experience and education) b) your availability and c) your salary expectations.